Monday, October 14, 2019

Money and Happiness

"You know, you suffer from the wrong notion that money is enough to be happy."

As usual. Here is another friend who knows exactly what is wrong with me. If ever the day came when a friend found something right with me, I'd probably die of the shock.

"Whoever said money can buy happiness just did not know where to shop", I said triumphantly. It is not often that I can remember the right quote at the right time, so I was understandably thrilled to be able to do it once.

"Yeah. Trust you to remember all the pithy sayings that sound clever but mean shit. So, you think if you have the money to go to the finest concerts, your tone-deaf ears will learn to enjoy music? If you can buy the finest wines, you will acquire the palate to enjoy them?"

It NEVER works for me, does it? I mean, quotes like this from others shuts off the contempt. For me, it only seems to convert a trickle to a Niagara.

"So, you mean that you can do without money and be happy?"

"If a doctor cautions you against over-eating does it mean he wants you to starve?"

"Exactly what is your point, then?"

"That money is a tool which can get you what you want. You need to count the cost of getting the money, though, otherwise..."

"What cost? If I am GETTING money, then..."

"See what I mean? You think all cost is measured in money?"

What the hell else do you measure cost in? Marbles? What an idiot.

"So, what do you mean by cost?"

"Well, assume that you are working day and night to be able to hike up all the mountains in the world. And, when you have enough money, what if you can hardly climb a flight of stairs without fearing a heart attack? Your money has cost you your ability to pursue what you wanted, hasn't it?"

Hmmm. Not so much of an idiot, perhaps but...

"The guy who works 24x7 all his life in order to be able to smell the roses after retirement. And, after retiring, makes a project out of smelling all varieties of roses, rushing from one to the other, muttering things like 'Ugh! This is the same rose I smelled two months and 4 days back. What a waste of time.' A lifetime of chasing money can mold attitudes which makes you incapable of enjoying leisure, can it not?"

"Well, all I can say is I'd rather be unhappy with money than without", I said gleefully. Twice in one day, I got the quote for the occasion! Yippee!

"Well, if you are resigned to being unhappy..."

Huh! This chap was too much for me.

"So you will say that pleasure and happiness is different and all that spiritual guff."

"Well, they ARE different. Pleasure is a temporary high caused by your senses. Happiness is a state of mind. But I would not waste my time talking of that to you. Why, I will not even bother to talk of relationships or love or compassion or charity. You'd only have called that sentimental guff."

"So, exactly are you talking about?"

"Remember, even your 'wise saying' says you can't do with money alone. You also need to know where to shop for happiness. I'd add a couple more things. You need to know WHAT to shop for and you need to keep alive the ability to USE and ENJOY what you buy."

These guys! They have to complicate everything!

8 comments:

  1. Many who have money aren't Happy.....many who don't have money aren't Happy too...very few who have money are Happy...very few who don't have money are Happy too...so it's the most who fall in-between the above two pairs who are confused...those who say they have "enough" or do not have "enough". That's it !!!! Hope I am crystal clear ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only when you KNOW what you need your money for can you say that it is enough. Else, no amount of money will seem enough

      Delete
  2. I always quote you on this clear thought process on money. But people still have an answer for the what you need the money for - they talk of that unknown dire exigency that could strike which may require a huge indeterminate some of money. So keep pilig up for that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essentially, you forego living as you want because of a fear of the future. 😁 These days, you have insurance for most of those exigencies. So, it is actually possible to plan for them. That excuse is increasingly hollow. The problem is that there is the attitude 'What's the harm in having more?'. No harm, really, but you are sacrificing the truly scarce resource that you have - Time - to get that more.

      Delete
  3. I could not refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very deep topic you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete