Monday, August 19, 2013

P&M VI - I don't care

There are some phrases that mean one thing when they are said in sentences and another when they are used as a complete sentence. Of course, when my friends say, "I don't care if I never see you again" they are merely joking. (What do you mean you are not joking? Maybe you are not but I am talking about my friends) but in the normal course, when someone says "I don't care if....", he actually means that he does not care.

But what if someone just says, "I don't care"? When this phrase is used as a complete communication, it very seldom means what it says. It may mean, "I don't care to discuss the matter" or "I don't care to let people know how much I care" BUT it, almost invariably, does not mean that you do not care about the matter.

"I am sorry you did not get selected"

"I DON'T CARE"

Now, that was loud enough to let the other person know how little you cared about the matter. How utterly indifferent you were about getting selected. Yes, we know.

"I am sorry she did not accept your proposal"

"I DON'T CARE"

 The entire hostel knows how totally indifferent you are to the girl's charms and how carefree her turning down of your proposal left you. They all know you are going to paint the town red celebrating your joy.

"I am sorry you lost your job"

"I DON'T CARE" 
The entire city knows how much you care..umm, don't care about losing your job. Everyone and his aunt knew how little you cared for it and how much you were hungering to be free to do your own thing.

If you are sorely tempted to write something negative in the comments please understand that

"I DON'T CARE"

You hear me? I just don't care.

27 comments:

  1. Ha true... But in my book 'I don't care' comes after 'Whatever' Now that's a phrase I want to wipe off the planet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do the parents of every teenager - that's the most aggravating phrase ever - "Whatever" :)

      Delete
  2. This simple phrase can have several connotations depending on the context.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe I do care! Yes, the difference brought out really well. Have you noticed how two positives -- Yeah right! never mean anything positive :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now will I be accused of plagiarism if I use it in a subsequent post of this series? :)

      Delete
    2. Of course not! I didn't coin the phrase, did I? :).

      Delete
    3. great :) That's one more to the P&M series then :)

      Delete
  4. As Rachna pointed out - its such a sham isn't it and it doesn't fool anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet a lot of people use it and still expect the others to believe them :)

      Delete
  5. This post became a bit more of senti and less of humor than your usual posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all phrases lend themselves readily to humor :)

      Delete
    2. I thought you would have said "I don't care" ;)

      Delete
    3. Hmm! Missed a bet didn't I? :)

      Delete
  6. Whatever! I Don't care. And I am not even a teenager.

    Truth aside, a very well written post, indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suresh ji, I used the same phrase when IBA did not offer me an award in the comic section where we were only 16 contestant and a 17th one won , someone who was never there till the last date of nomination .. and trust me how much I meant it .. :D :D ..I almost cried :D ..

    I dont care !! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Did you say it loud enough for the entire country to hear? :)

      Delete
  8. I don't care usually implies the contrary :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the louder you say it, the more contrary it is :)

      Delete
  9. Isn't it trendy to say 'fuck it' nowadays instead of 'I don't care'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not au courant with the latest expessions

      Delete
  10. Very well executed and tuned phrase of explanation Suresh Sir.. I don't care what I am writing but I care about what I have read now....:) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vajra! Great to be seeing you around these days :)

      Delete
  11. I don't care leaving a sensible comment here :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had left a comment here earlier today , guess Google goofed it up. ' I don't give a ' followed by some word or the other seems to be replacing ' I don't care' in the slang world . sentences that mean exactly the opposite of the actual reaction :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google is goofing up all too often these days :) Yes - and the stronger the slang the more you..umm...don't care :)

      Delete