Monday, May 23, 2016

Decoding likes

It is one thing to BE stupid. It is another to KNOW that you are stupid - rare, though, that is since most of the problems of the world are caused by stupid people who think they are Socrates reborn. But to have your stupidity rubbed in your face so often is, shall we say, not exactly the experience for which I joyously spring out of bed every morning and greet the new day. Yet, THAT is what happens, especially when I venture into social media.

Take this matter of Likes for example. Long gone are the days when you used to pick petals off a flower murmuring, "She likes me. She likes me not", to find out exactly what she does, by what you say when you run out of petals (Yeah! I know it is 'She loves me. She loves me not' but allow me some poetic license. And there is no need to snigger at the thought of my writing poetry). NOW, she strews 'Likes' like confetti and you are left wondering exactly what it means; exactly what is it she likes.

Is it raining in Chennai today?

Seven Likes and no comments for this Facebook status. I am sure it must mean something. But what, exactly? Growing up with the idea that a response to a question is an answer that addresses the question, I am stuck. The world has gone elliptical and I am still stuck with the linear thinking of my past days. The other, more nimble, brains probably decoded the 'Likes' in a jiffy. "Ah! He likes the possibility that it is raining in Chennai", maybe; or could it be, "She likes the fact that someone is bothered about rains in Chennai"?; Or is it "I like this person and let him not feel that he is shouting into an empty room'? If only I knew exactly what it meant.

Feeling sick since morning

21 Likes? Now what does THAT mean? Are all of these people in the medical profession in my vicinity and slavering for a possible customer? Do they only like the fact that I was not feeling sick till yesterday? It cannot be my subordinates rejoicing at the fact that I shall probably not come to office, since I am not working any longer. Maybe...just maybe...the meaning of 'sick' has changed to something like 'promoted'; maybe they are all rejoicing in my luck at getting 'sick' today. I cannot help feeling low, though, about the fact that so many people like the idea of my being sick and even all those comments seeking my recovery are no help. I really NEED to stop being stupid - if only to avoid getting unnecessarily hurt.

But how much can one learn? Just as I am gearing up to learn the real meaning of 'Like', Zuckerberg adds some more icons to the mix.

Is there someone offering coaching classes for this, somewhere? Oh! You shared the link some time back and I 'Liked' it? Hmmm!

18 comments:

  1. You should have those Wows here on this page too, would make things easier for us to hit ten or twenty for each of your posts!

    Kidding aside, I guess stupidity is indeed a boon in a world full of so very many Socrates' I would be happier being stupid rather than trying to understand the brilliant ways in which they are ruining everything around...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest villains in the world are not the outright evil ones - it is the ilk of 'They don't know that they don't know'

      Delete
  2. Haha! There is so much frivolous stuff on social media, who really cares what those likes are all about? :) I suppose that's what you are also trying to say here!

    Seriously though, there is so much potential in social media and what it can do for future of humanity, if only more people were to wake up to that possibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust you to get it Beloo! I am also saying that there is no REAL interaction in Social media for the most part. A lot of people hit 'Like', or whatever, without even bothering to read what is posted :)

      Delete
  3. I am "liking "this..:) I remember when my nephew's laptop bag was stolen from his car and he put that on FB, there were dozens of likes on that story...still wondering what that likes meant!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the time my blog was blocked, for God knows what reason, and I informed the world to a confetti shower of Likes :P

      Delete
  4. I have seen worst. 32 likes for a RIP status. Even that happens. Don't really know the meaning of 'like' anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Et tu, Akanksha? THEN who will teach me? :)

      Delete
  5. Which is why you rarely Like links or updates?
    You are right, it can be confusing.
    Well, for me, Likes can be about many things - seen, agree, appreciate, noted, will read later, I hear you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alka! THAT's why. AND I hardly find it heartwarming to see 'Likes' on my FB posts either. On Blogposts, I prefer comments IN the blog - THAT I can see any time I want and feel happy; on posts about a book published etc, well what does a 'Like' tell me when the person doesn't feel like buying the book? Why would that make me happy?; on any posts on a personal basis, a comment ON the post OR a Share is what tells me whether the person cares enough about the post. A 'Like'? It only tells me that THAT person exists in the same universe that I infest - nothing more. :) But, then, I am antediluvian :)

      Delete
  6. How frivolous can we be?And also insensitive.I have seen people liking news of death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people hardly read the status message, these days. They just see the person posting and 'Like' if they want to let the other person know they are still 'friends' :)

      Delete
  7. Seriously. Some time back there would be a status.. So & so expired today. 51 likes ! Huh ! I think its because people actually might not be reading anything & the likes is probably just an automatic response. Or better still, probably somebody has invented a software to do all their liking on their behalf :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Well! No-one seems to know. Where will I seek enlightenment on this :)

      Delete
  8. Having ones post liked gives people a sense of achievement like they have one a Nobel prize or a padmabhushan..... Social media is simply banking on this psychology I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, a Like without a comment only means that the person has not taken the time to read the post :) After all, I hardly ever share pics :)

      Delete
  9. Someone once told me that a like is an acknowledgement that I've seen the post. Perhaps that explains why someone would like a sad status. But these days, we have haha, wow, sad to make it easier for us to not write just like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It serves only as an acknowledgment that they have seen that you have posted something :P

      Delete