Monday, April 15, 2013

F?@K Knows - A Book Review

I went through that phase of devouring self-improvement books by the dozen when I was in my teens and still under the illusion that personalities could be quick-fixed by reading a few books. By the time I had hit my fiftieth book in the genre I had come to realize that they said nothing that I did not know already. If my knowing had not changed me for the better it is only because I was unwilling or unable to work at it and reading a few more pages of the same advice was in no way going to push me any further.

The blurb for Shailendra Singh's book 'F?@K Knows' gives the impression of a self-improvement book and the author seems to have himself recollected that intention every now and then in the course of writing the book. But for those desultory attempts I would have thought that the book was a collection of blog posts. In fact, the best review of the book is given in the book by the author himself. "In my opinion, ladies and gentlemen, what you have just read is the most inconsistent, contradictory, non-articulate piece of writing that I have ever read" is what he has to say at the end of the book.

I know that a self-deprecatory person is unlikely to be too pleased by an over-enthusiastic endorsement of his views - though I certainly do not agree that he is inarticulate. To be fair to myself, I had formed the opinion already and was pleasantly surprised to realize that the author had recognized the fact as well. When a book in one chapter says, "Don't let THEM dictate what you should do" and in another says, "Who is considered a success - a carter or a CEO" there is an automatic element of contradiction. After all, you cannot tout the benefits of following your gut without regard to Society and, simultaneously, sneer about losers - who generally are so defined by the mores of Society - without laying yourself open to the accusation of being contradictory.

As for creating any clarity in the minds of youth about how to conduct their futures, the book is truly speaking no use. It is all fine to say "Follow your gut and not what lies below" but also touting hot cars and hotter girl-friends is not really a plug for ignoring what lies beneath the gut. The problem with any human being is that he is a mass of multiple desires - the passion to go for some profession; the passion for material success and/or the fear of material lack; the passion for social recognition and the passion for that hot Girlfriend/Boyfriend. In fact, what the youth mistake for a passion for a profession has more to do with the passion for the perceived rewards from that profession. Does the book provide any clarity on how to walk your way through these maze of passions? Heck No - the author has only one answer 'F?@k Knows!'

The book is probably what the author claims it is - an honest expression of what is in his heart. It is a readable book, well-peppered with humor and with celebrity reminiscences. Will the readers have anything else to take away from the book?

F?@K Knows!

This review is a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books!

24 comments:

  1. I have liked certain self improvement books, and i feel that they make a difference..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to enjoy self help books too. Not anymore.
    I don't see many youngsters reading this genre anymore. Moreover, as you say, this book has nothing new to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not even know whether the author intended it as a self improvement book, Alka!

      Delete
  3. Have never been able to read a 'self-improvement' book beyond the first few pages... though there are a lot of them in my library at home. I think they are the strange ones that get bought, reach shelves, but never read. I'm sure such books envy the tattered and used looks of their neighbours in any library!

    Loved the review for its clarity and frankness.

    Arvind Passey
    www.passey.info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably do envy the other books, Arvind!

      Delete
  4. Nice review....looks like a light read:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will probably work very well as a light read, Bushra!

      Delete
  5. Very well written Suresh ! I am surprised that the author wrote that about himself..interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All i know is, there are no shortcuts to success and it comes with no instruction manual. But isn't success a matter of perception?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was precisely my point, Purba! In the book the author, at times, seems to understand that each individual can define success his own way but in others reverts to 'hot cars and hotter girlfriends' as the sole measure of success. (And, I am not responsible for the fact that he defines success exclusively from the male perspective :) )

      For me, the only 'loser' is the sort of person who is totally dissatisfied with himself.

      Delete
  7. Do I feel like reading this book now after your review? F?@K Knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! The book is very articulately written TF but there is no coherence in the ideas.

      Delete
  8. Hi Suresh

    I have read only one of two self help books so far....I mean non-fiction books...Tough for me to get the pages turning! I can read shorter articles on non-fiction but whole books, no way! Not a good habit but thats how it has been :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, that is a F?@king good review, Suresh! You have left nothing to imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read a few self-help books but somewhere along the way stopped reading them without realizing that I had, I don't think it was intentional - just didn't hold my interest anymore. Based on your quotes from the book, one thing I would say to the author is - he's being honest - as far as his opinion goes, as far as his confusion shows, etc. That I appreciate. But, considering that I am confused enough about my own life - considering the stuff you said about mixed desires - why add to it by reading a book which again offers nothing new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I felt too, Deepa! I may have thought that the blurb was misleading but for the fact that the author himself kept reverting to self-improvement chapters every now and then.

      Delete
  11. I have read a few self-help books with great difficulty. I use them as sleeping pills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped long back, Amit. Some books have interesting anecdotes. This one was touted as humorous - I love humor - and I cannot gainsay that it was - but, for me, logical inconsistency spoils the enjoyment of even humor in a book.

      Delete
  12. Hope the author now knows a lot provided he has gone thru your review .. O course .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author is an uber-successful entrepreneur and show-biz moghul, Sudhakar! He isn't likely to have even read this review leave alone take it seriously.

      Delete